Monday, January 13, 2020

The Rebel Black Dot Exodus 90 Song o' the Day


Sufjan Stevens, "Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid)" from Sufjan Stevens Presents... Greetings from Michigan, the Great Lake State (St. Mike Papa Whiskey)

Commentary: The Exodus 90 Rule of Life states, under the Asceticism rubric, "Only listen to music that lifts the soul to God." Last year, I followed a very strict interpretation of this rule, listening only to explicitly religious music. I found this the least-helpful part of the exercise, in part because once Easter came & I was again at liberty to listen to whatever music I wanted, I discovered that a much broader range of music lifts my soul to God that just Gregorian chant & Christian rock & roll. Consequently, this year I am following a much less strict interpretation of the rule.

Earlier this evening, I participated in a Holy Hour of Eucharistic adoration & prayer for the long-suffering City of Flint. Thus, "Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid)."

No comments: