Wednesday, February 19, 2020

The Queue

I had not even finished one Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation, Christus Vivit!, when His Holiness Pope Francis published another Post-Synodal Apostolic Exhortation, Querida Amazonia, last week. He needs to slow down or I need to speed up, or both. I'm not going to dive into Querida Amazonia ("Beloved Amazon") before the summer at the earliest.

Who Wrote the Bible? was lent me by my buddy Santa Claus, a fellow possessed of some, shall me say, unorthodox ideas—not full-blown heterodox, but unorthodox—so, I cannot help but regard the book with some suspicion. He refers to it frequently as "my Bible book," as opposed to his other frequent mention, "my Jesuit book," & I once remarked that I might like to read it one day; a fortnight hence, he presented it to me to read. Out of courtesy, it has climb the queue. I have more reliably orthodox books about the Bible, including Jimmy Akin's The Bible Is a Catholic Book, in the "Eventually" tranche &, depending on how orthodox or unorthodox Who Wrote the Bible? proves, The Bible Is a Catholic Book might rocket to the "Presently" tranche, or even to "Currently."

This very evening, another parishioner mentioned Thomas Merton's The Seven Storey Mountain &, unbidden, said he'd lend me the book once he's finished. Bishop Barron speaks highly of Merton; so, I'm more than willing to read The Seven Storey Mountain. Given my druthers, I'd be left to chip away at the queue as it already stands, but the world is altogether more dynamic than that.

Recently
Christopher Carstens, A Devotional Journey into the Mass: How Mass Can Become a Time of Grace, Nourishment, and Devotion
Matthew Kelly, Rediscover the Saints: Twenty-five Questions That Will Change Your Life
Pope Francis, Apostolic Exhortation Christus Vivit! (Christ Is Alive!)

Currently
Richard Elliott Friedman, Who Wrote the Bible?

Presently
Flannery O'Connor, Flannery O'Connor Collection (Word on Fire Classics)
Fulton J. Sheen, Life of Christ (Word on Fire Classics)
Dom Jean-Baptiste Chautard, Spiritual Handbook for Catholic Evangelists: How to Win Souls without Losing Your Own

No comments: