Monday, January 26, 2009

The Explorers Club
No. CIX - The Empire Air Training Scheme (the best of several variant names), 1939-45.








Dreadfully sorry for the lengthy delay, folks. I originally suspended "The Explorers Club" in late December because I felt I should not allow myself to work on anything else until I'd done my bit for Project TROIKA, and after that inertia and the hurly-burly of a new year set in. We've got a lot of ground to make up; so, episodes will be coming quickly and densely for the next few weeks. Prepare to explore.

M2K4... 5... 6... 7... 8... 9!
B.B.C.link and N.A.S.A.link I cannot emphasize enough the astounding nature of Spirit and Opportunity's longevity. These plucky little rovers were meant to traverse the harsh surface of the Red Planet for ninety days. They're exceeded that mark twenty-fold, enduring endless dust and sols with all too little sunlight during the Martian winter, yet they refuse to yield. Your human masters are proud of you, Opportunity, and we are proud of you, too, Spirit. Go forth, resolute robotic minions, for science! For America! For all Mankind!

Per aspera ad astra.

Proud Europa
Now that's art! Entropalink. Avail yourself of a closer look at the hilarity: Photolink. The lampooning of The Netherlands is uncomfortably close to the truth.

I have to believe there are a number of Britons who are in no way offended at having been left out entirely. Just try to imagine history without the English Channel.

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Kevin Stermer, "Breaker of Hearts, Destroyer of Worlds" courtesy of K. Steeze (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "But don't count me out, I've still got fight left in me." Words to live by, boys and girls.

Sonntag, 25 Januar
Elvis Costello & The Attractions, "Senior Service" from Armed Forces (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: