Monday, March 2, 2009

Science!
I have never understood the insistence of so many that religion and science are incompatible. Science is the lens through which we come to more fully understand the splendor of God's Creation, a view echoed by Holy Mother Church: Darwinlink.

Science!

King Leopold's Soliloquy
And, hey, look, we still don't care: Lord's Resistance Armylink. Flippancy? You bet, because I am ashamed, absolutely ashamed, of my country's indifference to the murderous, multifaceted conflict some have called Africa's World War. Yes, that name is ridiculous on its face, but the scale of the bloodshed meant to be invoked by the name is entirely appropriate. Millions have died — MILLIONS! — and yet we in the West have sat on our hands and done nothing. We haven't even gone through the usual dog-and-pony show of tut-tutting the senseless slaughter, we've been all too happy to ignore almost entirely the Great War of Africa. I don't think we even bother to delude ourselves with a fairy tale about the war having ended in '03, we simply do not care about the plight of the hapless people in the land that was once King Leopold's charnel house. Our collective inaction is a shameful abrogation of our responsibility to our fellow Man.

Toward the D.R. Congo and the surrounding countries, we were shamefully passive under President Clinton, we were shamefully passive under President Bush, and we are shamefully passive under President Obama. That, I suppose, is bipartisanship we can all believe in? "I confess to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done, and what I have failed to do." What we have failed to do.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
No Doubt, "New" from Return of Saturn (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Before my birthday this summer, someone remind me to reflect on this, my twenty-ninth year, my own return of Saturn.

"Don't let it go away,
This feeling had got to stay,
Don't let it go away,
This feeling has got to stay,
And I can't believe I've had this chance now,
Don't let it go away."

No comments: