Wednesday, August 1, 2012

How do you name two boys after three fictional characters? Like so: Name the firstborn after pulp hero Doc Savage, so that his name is Clark Savage Wilson (using mine own surname for convenience). Name Clark's little brother after pulp crimefighter The Shadow, using the true name of The Shadow, not his more widely known alias of Lamont Cranston, so that the lad's name is Kent Allard Wilson. The names Clark & Kent then recall the secret identity of Superman, a mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper. Two honoring three.

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Fountains of Wayne, "Hackensack" from Welcome Interstate Managers (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "Hackensack" came to mind while I was, not "scraping the paint off of hardwood floors," but giving the walls of the front hall & foyer a chemical wash after scraping off the wallpaper, the chemical wash meant to remove the last lingers traces of the wallpaper adhesive ahead of spackling, sanding, & painting. Normally, "Hackensack," which oft comes to mind, comes to mind for more wistful, less practical, reasons.

"I used to work in a record store,
Now I work for my dad,
Scraping the paint off of hardwood floors,
The hours are pretty bad."


Dienstag, 31 Juli
KatiƤ, "The Minstrel Boy" from Can't Stop the Love Sled (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The Watergirl's is the only rendition of "The Minstrel Boy" I have in my library. I love the song, I love her interpretation of the song I love, & I cherish being reminded of my favorite rendition of the song I love, that sung by Chief Miles Edward O'Brien in the superb Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Wounded." As my erstwhile best friend & oft remarked whilst watching episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, "You're a good man, Miles O'Brien."

No comments: