Friday, December 22, 2017

The Rebel Black Dot Christmas Song o' the Day


Susan Egan, "All Those Christmas Clichés" from Winter Tracks (The Last Angry Grinch)

Commentary:
"I've spend Christmas in Peoria,
Christmas in Schenectady,
Christmas in Las Vegas & L.A.,
And I always thought it couldn't matter less,
But lately, come December, I confess:

"I want a tree full of toys & tinsel,
I want a wreath on a red front door,
I want the elves in the yard
And each sentimental card
Dripping glitter on the floor.
I want a roof full of plywood reindeer,
I want a road full of horse-drawn sleighs,
All those Christmas clichés.

"I want to turkey with all the trimmings,
The turkey Mom hardly ever made,
I want the gulp & the tear
At the moment when I hear
Johnny Mathis being played.
I want a lake full of perfect skaters,
I want that fruitcake with sugar glaze,
All those Christmas clichés.

"Not to mention the snow,
Not to mention the choir,
Not to mention the candles in the window
And chestnuts roasting on the fire.

"Inside a house full of noise & laughter,
Along a street bathed in twinkling light,
I want the bells & the drums,
Mistletoe & sugar plums,
And kids to tuck in tight.
And as to the guy in the bright, red outfit,
Instead of flying off, he stays,
All those Christmas clichés.

"I want those overused, corny,
Endlessly lovely
Christmas clichés."

No comments: