Monday, December 1, 2008

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Elvis Costello, "Veronica" from Spike (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: There are times when I think Spike might be my favorite of Costello's albums.

Sonntag, 30 November
Barenaked Ladies, "Carol of the Bells" from Barenaked For the Holidays (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I am debating Christmas music policy. Should I feature yuletide tunes throughout December? (An idea blown to hell by the above R.B.D.S.O.T.D.) Only during the Twelve Days of Christmas, though they fall after Christmas Day, as a nod to tradition? Only religious music during the Twelve Days, with the Santa songs and such beforehand? I need protocol to which to hew!

Samstag, 29 November
Sarah McLachlan, "Building a Mystery" (live) from Mirrorball (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I am ever so much more fond of the live version of "Building a Mystery" than the studio version. Sarah doesn't exactly rock, but she rocks moreso live.

Freitag, 28 November
John Barry (probably not Monty Norman), "The James Bond Theme From Dr. No" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: After a fortnight's delay, I finally saw Quantum of Solace! Proper analysis to follow.

Donnerstag, 27 November
Ben Folds, "You to Thank" from Songs For Silverman (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: For the second year in a row, I was sorely tempted by Green Day's "Macy's Day Parade," but elected to select a song with "thanks" in the title, though a tune not nearly as earnest as last year's. Wayback Machinelink.

Mittwoch, 26 November
Reel Big Fish, "I'm Her Man" from Monkeys For Nothin' and the Chimps For Free (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I don't have a girl. I don't have a girl to defend zealously and jealously, I don't have other guys trying to horn in a my girl because I don't have girl. Yet from the moment I woke up last Wednesday there was never any question that "I'm Her Man" would be the R.B.D.S.O.T.D. Life's a funny old thing, isn't it?

"I can see you looking down her shirt.
I can see you looking up her skirt.
Only gonna tell you once,
Only gonna tell you once to just get back!

You better stay away from my girlfriend,
You better stay away from her.
I'm just giving warning
So you get no broken bones.
You better leave my girl alone.

...

I can see you looking down her shirt.
I can see you looking up her skirt.
I'm only gonna tell you twice,
And ask you really, really nice.

You better stay away from my girlfriend,
You better stay away from her.
I'm just giving warning
So you get no broken bones.
You better leave my girl alone."

No comments: