Thursday, December 13, 2012

Kith & Kin
My mother's birthday is this month, meaning she receives a double dose of presents around Christmas. This year, she asked for a grand total of two things, a Kindle e-book reader & a single e-book for that Kindle. My sister, The L.A.W., contacted me upon receiving our mother's expansive list, & informed me that she & Brother-in-L.A.W. had been considering gifting Mom an iPad so that Mom could use FaceTime to "vid-chat" with their two Kinder, The Squeak & the Chunky Monkey. The L.A.W. & Brother-in-L.A.W. had hesitated due to our mum's known fear of technology, but I assured my sister that that fear, so prominent in the 1990s, had largely faded from view in the 21st century, & that our mother would leap any technological hurdle if it brought her closer to the grandbabies, the source of all joy & fulfillment. While this text & e-mail conversation was happening, we both received an e-mail from our father, who announced that he'd bought the principal item on our mother's/his wife's list, the Kindle e-book reader. The L.A.W. & I agreed that the iPad should still go ahead, & Mom just wouldn't be told about the ability to use it as an e-book reader, so as not to hang Dad out to dry. Fine & good.

Mom went to Washington, D.C. last weekend to celebrate The L.A.W.'s birthday & The Squeak's birthday, albeit early. (The Squeak is an incredible three years-old!) The L.A.W. & Brother-in-L.A.W. presented Mom with the iPad, before either Christmas or her birthday, so that Brother-in-L.A.W. could tutor her in its use. Très bien. Alas, one of Brother-in-L.A.W.'s many brothers—a nice guy who lives about an hour away & whose three kids, cousins of the Chunky Monkey & The Squeak, are wonderful playmates for my nephew & niece—told Mom all about the Kindle "app" for the iPad. As soon as Mom returned home from her trip, she announced that she know longer wants a Kindle, because she no longer needs it. Dirty pool, Mom! I know that circumstances had changed, but I do not care. If you ask for only one thing for Christmas & your birthday, it is bad form, exceedingly bad form to announce a fortnight before the holiday that you know longer want that one thing. A fortnight! Two weeks! The odds are that someone has already purchased the item, the thing for which you asked specifically! Dirty pool, old girl; dirty pool. My father had already received the requested Kindle from Amazon.com & was versing himself in its functions so that he could tutor Mom after the gift was presented. I had opted not to take part in the iPad gift since, with Mom receiving both a Kindle & an iPad, I thought a more traditional gift or jewelry or home decor might help keep her on an even keel, but Dad is screwed. What's he supposed to do now? One simply cannot ask for but one gift & then declare, a fortnight before one is to receive that gift, that one no longer wishes to receive that gift. That's rude, selfish, & utterly without class.

Is my analysis in error, dear readers? Are their aspects of the problem I've not considered properly?

The Rebel Black Dot Christmas Songs of the Day
The Puppini Sisters, "All I Want for Christmas" from Christmas with The Puppini Sisters (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary:

"I just want you for my own,
More than you could ever know,
Make my wish come true,
All I want for Christmas is you."


Mittwoch, 12 Dezember
Barenaked Ladies, "Sleigh Ride" from Barenaked for the Holidays (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Short & punchy.

2 comments:

The Guy said...

Kindle has a better screen for reading and she could find value in both.

Mike Wilson said...

That was my thinking, but it's too late for that now, I'm afraid. I'm still irked, & I'm not even the one who bought her the Kindle she requested, & then suddenly didn't want any longer, as if she were a teenaged girl. Frustrating.