Tuesday, June 18, 2013

"Sea-Fever"
by John Masefield

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again to the vagrant gypsy life.
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Blaggards, "Drunken Sailor" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Another sea song from "Ocean." These nautical shenanigans will probable persist all the way 'til Le Mans. Among this rendition of "Drunken Sailor's" many virtues is that "early," as in "…early in the mornin'," is pronounced "early," not "earl-eye" as is so oft the case. Darned irksome affectation, "earl-eye."

3 comments:

K.Steeze said...

Thanks, Mike. "Sea-Fever" is a perfect little shanty. I shall post it in my office so I may never lose sight of the payoff I will have once I'm done working all these countless hours.

Mike Wilson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Wilson said...

Not for nothing was John Masefield the Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom for well nigh two score years. Added bonus: John Masefield or Jon Mace-field?