Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day: SKApril!

Reel Big Fish, "Beer" (live) from Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album, Disc 1: More Shtick Than You Can Shake a Stick At (T.L.A.M.)

Skammentary: I selected the live rendition of "Beer" in part because two of the previous three R.B.D.S.O.T.D.s were live recordings, but also because I adore Reel Big Fish's (R.B.F.) on-stage banter. I salute the Dance Hall Crashers for the subtitle of their live record, The Live Record: Witless Banter and 25 Mildly Antagonistic Songs of Love, because most stage banter is witless. R.B.F. are something of an exception, if relentless, bitter sarcasm is a form of wit. Says Aaron Barrett, front man, lead singer, guitarist, & chief songwriter, "Anyway, I hate this song & I hate all of you—just kidding, I don't hate this song."

A fortnight or so back, I greatly amused my parish's director of religious education/pastoral associate by quoting these timeless lyrics from "Beer":

"She looks like heaven,
Maybe this is hell…"

Happy SKApril, rude girls & rude boys! Don't stop skanking!

No comments: