Friday, December 23, 2022

The Rebel Black Dot Christmas Song o' the Day

Brian d'Arcy James, "Michigan Christmas" from From Christmas Eve to Christmas (Mike Papa Whiskey)

Commentary:
"But I know a place that is special,
Where memories linger as sweet as your dreams,
And I want a Michigan Christmas,
A Michigan Christmas is all that I'm asking for!

"I want a Michigan Christmas,
With Michigan snow on the Saginaw trees,
And I want to be home with my family,
A Michigan Christmas,
A Michigan Christmas is all that I'm asking for, please."

Yellow Journalism
I originally selected "Michigan Christmas" as the R.B.D.C.S.O.T.D. for 23 December because I was scheduled to be in verdammt Ohio, enjoying an early Christmas with my kin at Xanadu, mitigating the indignity of simply being in Ohio by my jolly gloating over the valiant Wolverines' victory in "The Game" & subsequent B1G Championship. However, the yellow journalism outrage machine was fearmongering in overdrive all week about a "once in a generation" blizzard & cold front, convincing my darling mother to cancel our visit to our distant kin. As it happened, we received a paltry one inch of snow, reduced to a mere dusting in many places by the howling wind which gathered it into several-inch-tall drifts in other places. Oh no, a six-inch snow drift! However shall we cope?

I am enjoying a Michigan Christmas, but at the price of not seeing many of my kin due to an utterly unremarkable winter storm. My anger at my mother is tempered by my embarrassment for her.

No comments: