Tuesday, April 23, 2002

The girl at the next computer is wearing headphones. She's listening to country music with the volume turned up so high I can actually make out some of the lyrics. Does it make me a bad person that I sincerely hope she does permanent damage to her hearing?

I've been wanting to burn a mix CD for Lindsay for months, but I never got around to doing it because I knew it'd be interpreted as what it is, a gesture of unrequitted love, not just friendship, and we just couldn't handle that level of weirdness right now. (Side note: yes, I too like the idea of a mix tape more than a mix CD, but she doesn't have a tape player in her car and I don't know if her stereo has a tape player; so, the project has been technologically upgraded.) In any event, a few weeks ago Lindsay asked me to burn a whole bunch of discs for her before she moves. I don't know if she knows what a gift that request has been to me. So, now I'm drawing up lists of songs and organizing them into compilations; I'm putting all my favorite songs on there, not just ones I think she'll like, so that these discs will be a (hopefully) constant reminder of me. David is helping me out by letting me use the software he uses to design the Real Can of Yams discs and liner notes. Last night, we designed the CD stickers, and I think they're going to look awesome. Of course they're black, and I've decided to go minimalist. On the lower half, in large, plain white lettering (Courier New, so plain that its plainness is a statement of sorts), is each disc's title (because the music will be divided up by genre: ska, punk... okay, so my only genres are ska and punk, but I've still got some sweet titles to use). In the upper half, in the same font, but smaller, it will simply say "for Lindsay." I'm very excited about these discs. Plus, as an added bonus, it's always fun to work on something with David. I love just hanging out with him, but I have to admit that sometimes I get a little jealous of how much he and Kevin work together on BTW projects.

No comments: