Tuesday, April 2, 2002

Tomorrow, this blog is going public. It has always been public, but only in the safe, anonymous way that you can tell absolute strangers things about yourself that you'd never dare reveal to those you love. To this point, only Julie and Dylan have known about this (if you know us, I hope you got a nice chuckle out of the irony of that); Julie because hers was the first weblog I ever visited (before she told me about it, I had no idea such things existed) and Dylan because he lives over a thousand miles away and doesn't know most of the people involved (again, the intimacy of the stranger). As far as I know, they are the only two people who have ever read it, save me.

I'm not inviting everyone (and inviting is an odd word, since anybody could happen to wander in here), just a few individuals I truly consider friends, the kind of guys you stay in touch with even over thousands of miles, not just friends of geographic convenience. It is telling that as much as I care for her, I won't be inviting Lindsay. The level of self-censorship that would require would essentially nullify the point of having a weblog. In a way it is sad that I can't be that honest with her (or as it specifically involves them, pretty much any of my friends), but to change that would be to change the fundamental nature of human discourse, and I've got better things to do with my weekends.

So, the first wave of invitations (a mass email, who am I kidding) go out tomorrow. Just a few individuals, mostly the Blue Tree Whacking gang, but I hope to expand until I've invited everyone I consider a friend to visit The Secret Base of the Rebel Black Dot Society. Maybe someday I can even invite Lindsay.

No comments: