Tuesday, December 5, 2006

BTW South Song of the Day
Reel Big Fish, "The Kids Don't Like It" from Why Do They Rock So Hard? (T.L.A.M.)

Deep in the Heart of Darkness... er, Texas
I've finally figued out why we had to keep using the air conditioning so far into the fall: BTW South is about an insulated as a screen door. Conveniently, the temperature at night has been getting chilly (back home, I'd say this is early October weather, though with less rain). There would be no need to turn on the heat, except BTW South leaks warmth like a sieve; a constant draft seeps in through the seems around the front door. The real difficulty is that BTW South features dorm-style heating: the only furnace setting is full blast. So, I activate the heat for short periods, making the apartment too warm in a matter of moments, then I shut the heat off and watch the temperature slowly bleed back to comfortable and parts beyond over the course of a couple hours. And I have to use the thermostat to turn the heat on and off, since the "Auto" setting results in a BTW South warm enough to roast a turkey.

I can't wait until New Year's Day because I can't wait for 2007. 2007 is the year my own personal Babylonian Exile will end and I can return to Michigan. Almost every single one of my friends said moving out of my parents' house was a good idea, irrespective of to where I was moving. And every one of those people was wrong. The one and only good thing about this entire debacle has been these two realizations: a) You are never too old to make the biggest mistake of your life. b) You cannot depend upon your friends to know what's best for you, because they have no idea; they mean well, but we all know with what the road to Hell is paved.

No comments: