Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Emily the Strange
Emily holds the future in her own hands.

kNOw future

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Aquabats!, "The Thing on the Bass Amp!" from The Aquabats! vs. The Floating Eye of Death! and other Amazing Adventures, Vol. 1 (T.L.A.M.)

Sonntag, 29 Juli
Elvis Costello, "Radio, Radio" from This Years Model (T.L.A.M.)

Also on the musical front, Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge is a stupendous title for an album, but great Caesar's ghost, My Chemical Romance is a piss-poor excuse for a band. A pox on them for squandering such an august title on their insipid tunes.

Disturbingly, I heard that vapid anthem so emblematic of 2006, "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield, today and now I cannot get the cursed thing out of my head. I loathe that song, yet my mind continually drifts back to Ms. Bedingfield's voice. Drat, drat, and double drat! There's one surefire way out of this mess, the old one-two punch of "Viva Las Vegas" by the King of Rock 'n' Roll and "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina & the Waves. Ready, steady, here we go.

Ricky Fitness
I was reminded this afternoon of something I all too easily and frequently forget: I really like working out. I don't just enjoy the physical and (slight) visual improvements that are the fruits of my labor, I derive pleasure and, more importantly, fulfillment from the act of exercising. God wants us to toil, to sweat, to work hard to make ourselves better; so, naturally, when you can get past your aches and petty complaints, you'll find there is a great sense of having done right in exercising, of consciously rejecting gluttony and sloth. Not for no reason did those two make the short list of deadly sins. It's hot, it's sweaty, and my thoughts are all of bloody murder when Oprah's on the confounded treadmill, but I really do like working out. It's the damnedest thing.

No comments: