Friday, August 31, 2007

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
The Get Up Kids, "Anne Arbour" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Though, in truth, the Mountain and I were in Ann Arbor on Monday, not today.

Donnerstag, 30 August
Duvall & Seville, "Michigan" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Mittwoch, 29 August
Jeff Daniels, "Michigan, My Michigan" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: A song of the Civil War, and doubly appropriate since it speaks of "hostile, Southern skies."

Dienstag, 28 August
John Linnell, "Michigan" from State Songs (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Previously, a BTW South Song of the Day. "We must eat Michigan's brain!"

Montag, 27 August
KatiƤ, "75 North" from Can't Stop the Love Sled (T.L.A.M.)

Sonntag, 26 August
The Ataris, "The Radio Still Sucks" from Short Music for Short People (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The rental truck had no tape deck, only a radio, and as we all know the radiowaves are a wasteland. Memphis had really good radio, though, or at least as good as radio gets. A most pleasant surprise.

Samstag, 25 August
"Weird Al" Yankovic, "Truck Drivin' Song" from Running With Scissors (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Mayhap driving the truck would have been move pleasant had I cross-dressed as the song suggests.

Freitag, 24 August
Green Day, "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" from Nimrod (T.L.A.M.)

Ricky Fitness
I haven't exercised in two weeks, last week because I was packing and moving and this week because I was moving and unpacking, but I have to say I am very pleased with my biceps right now. I've been fat since puberty; so, I am not nearly as concerned with becoming thin/ceasing to be fat as I am with feeling strong. I don't know that I'm ready to go sixty minutes with my fellow Flounders, but I do feel stronger than I have in years.

I must join a gym, to preserve the gains of the past year and to surpass them in the year to come. Perhaps tomorrow I'm call upon several in the area and investigate their facilities and rates.

I meant to post this hyperlink over a week ago, but as I forewarned lots of blog fodder got lost in the shuffle of moving.

Nihonlink. Among the many things I love about the Japanese is their continued use of execution. It is only in the last fifty years that "civilized" nations have stopped executing murderers and traitors, but for the life of me I know not why. Is France a morally superior country today to the not-so-long gone days of the guillotine? Are the British happier and healthy since retiring the gallows? Human life is sacred, but it's not that sacred. The state must not only possess but never fail to exercise the power of life and death over those who place themselves above society's laws; without that simple concept, we risk falling into chaos and forfeiting all that for which generations of our forebears strove and struggled. Bravo, ladies and gentlemen of Nihon, bravo.

No comments: