Monday, December 17, 2007

When I checked my email a moment ago, I found two new messages: a "Save the Date!" message from my sister, The L.A.W., replete with a hyperlink to her and The Maine Man's wedding webpage, and a notification from Netflix that Red Dawn had shipped and was on its merry way to me. There is something about that pairing that I find greatly pleasing.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, "Hava Nagila (Christmas Arrangement)" from Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Set to the tune of José Feliciano's "Feliz Navidad," including the chorus, "I wanna wish you a Rosh Hashanah / I wanna wish you a Rosh Hashanah / I wanna wish you a Rosh Hashanah from the bottom of my heart!" Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah is a live album recorded at the actual Bar Mitzvah of a kid - sorry, technically a man - named Jonny. On the album, "Hava Nagila (Christmas Arrangement)" is preceded by a more Gimme-style, punked out rendition of the traditional "Hava Nagila."

"Hava Nagila (Christmas Arrangement)" takes up only about one minute fifteen seconds of a nearly thirteen-minute-long track; the rest is silence, crowd sounds, a delightfully ridiculous French-English hybrid rendition of "Seasons in the Sun" (covered on the Gimme Gimmes' album
Have a Ball) by Jonny's uncle, Roger, and Jonny himself playing drums - quite well for a thirteen-year-old - on "Sloop John B" (from the album Blow In the Wind). Best. Bar Mitzvah. Ever.

If you have the means, I strongly advise that you engage the services of Me First and the Gimme Gimmes for all of your wedding receptions and other important functions.

No comments: