Saturday, April 5, 2008

After a lazy morning, I spent the afternoon closely rereading The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite. And now I'm going to work on a Project TROIKA email for transmission to Steeze; so, Who Used To Own It? may have to wait until tomorrow. Round Six will all but exhaust Africa's supply of nation-states, but fear not, I have a clever scheme to keep the educational fun rolling beyond the shores of the mother continent. Just you wait.

The Umbrella Academy
Sir Reginald Hargreeves a.k.a. The Monocle (R.I.P.)
Dr. Pogo (R.I.P.)

00.01 - Luther Hargeeves a.k.a. Spaceboy
00.02 - Diego Hargreeves a.k.a. The Kraken
00.03 - Allison Hargreeves a.k.a. The Rumor
00.04 - Klaus Hargreeves a.k.a. The Séance
00.05
00.06 - Ben Hargreeves a.k.a. The Horror (R.I.P.)
00.07 - Vanya Hargreeves a.k.a. The White Violin

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Student Rick, "Falling For You" from Soundtrack For a Generation (T.L.A.M.)

Freitag, 4 April
Elvis Costello, "(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea" from This Year's Model (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Love the song, hate the title. Slow Gherkin's "Pretty (In a Pretty Sort of Way)" is ridiculous and silly, like the song itself (and the band for that matter). But what in the high holy hell is the point of putting the vast majority of a straight song's title in parentheses? How is "(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea" better than "I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea"? Either shorten the title to "Chelsea," though of course the lyrics make plain why that might not work as the title, or bite the bullet and go for the whole phrase sans parentheses. Shape up, Costello!

"They call her Natasha when she looks like Elsie,
I don't want to go to Chelsea."

Love this song.

No comments: