Thursday, July 2, 2009

Crumbs, I completely forgot what I was going to write.

Anyway, under the category of the extremely juvenile, I had White Castle for lunch today. I love White Castle, even though I know full well that eating there always leaves me, and here is the juvenile portion, malodorously flatulent. I know, I know, this blog is a constant delight that consistently raises the level of the discourse. Excelsior!

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
"Wallace and Rashard Go to White Castle," Veronica Mars Season 2

Believe
Ooo, I remembered what I was going to write: sour grapes or not, I say good riddance to Marian Hossa. The Chicago Blackhawks have signed a highly skilled player and an adroit goalscorer, but have they signed a winner? I think not. It is one of the great and enduring mysteries of sport, and one of its most enchanting charms, that there is all the difference in the world between a tremendously talented player and a winner. Sometimes tremendously talented players are winners, but quite often the winners are the role players, the journeymen, the guys with more grit and tenacity than dazzling skill. When the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat hang in the balance, dazzling skill can count for naught compared to the intangible superiority of the winner. And as I forewarned, it may just be sour grapes over his complete invisibility during the Stanley Cup Finals, but I don't see a single reason to believe that Marian Hossa is a winner. What the Red Wings both need and already have is winners.

Lord Stanley's Cup shall return home to Hockeytown, of that let there be no doubt.

Believe.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Michael Jackson, "Bad" from Bad (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: The R.B.D.S.O.T.D. commemoration of the King of Pop has nearly run its course, and we are now celebrating the three B's that are the best of the best of the best, "Beat It," "Bad," and tomorrow's finale. The man's been dead a week, yet the disposition of his heirs and estate continues to make news. Now that is the hallmark of a consummate entertainer: the show goes on even from beyond the grave.

No comments: