Sunday, July 12, 2009

This Week In Motorsport
Drat and double drat, I failed, my bid to embrace ignorance was thwarted. The B.B.C. News site is my homepage and I would have been okay because I was absolutely not going to scroll down to the B.B.C. Sport headlines, but the Limeys proved too crafty, placing Australian Mark Webber's victory in the German Grand Prix among the big, photo-accompanied second tier headlines, right beneath the main story. And once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it: F1link. Drat!

But I'm not beaten yet. Nine of the seventeen 2009 grands prix have been run, but of those nine I have watched only four on television. My intention is to watch all eight of the remains races; so, though the Formula One season is now halfway over, for me there remains twice as much racing as I have already seen. Score! And I shall refine my techniques, and, mark my words, I shall not know ahead of the the tape-delayed American broadcast the winner of the Hungarian Grand Prix, to be run in a fortnight. Ignorance will prevail!

Boy howdy, the more I see of F1, the more I like it. The dominant Brawn cars seem not-so-invincible anymore, and though the Red Bulls finished one-two again, there seems to be real life in Ferrari and the formerly moribund McLaren-Mercedes (Lewis Hamilton's disastrous day notwithstanding). And, holy cow, Force India might actually have gained points, and even had a shot at the podium, were it not for Adrian Sutil's heartbreaking accident coming out of the pit lane.

Formula One is wicked exciting, boys and girls, and I invite you to take a chance and watch the Hungarian Grand Prix on your local Fox affiliate at 3:00 P.M. E.D.T. on Sunday, 26 July 2009.

Jones Bottle Caps as Fortune Cookies
"Your life will be filled with sunshine." Most people would accept this as a bit of unreserved good fortune, but given the acrimony and scorn I oft direct at the Accursed Sun, I'm not much of a fan of the life filled with literal sunshine. However, in the vampire story I've got sitting in my mental files for after Project TRITON and, possibly, Project TRIANGLE, there is a character I'm thinking of nicknaming "Sunshine." Mayhap I should take this bottle cap as auguring success for Diurnal: Confessions of the World's Worst Vampire and the various sequels and spin-offs I'd like to publish as the "Vampires Suck" series.

"You will soon find something you lost long ago." My sense of invincibility? My libido? The crippling paralysis I used to feel around a girl I liked? (It took me a long time to shake that, so I'd rather not have it back, thanks.) Color me intrigued. Hey, you think there might be a chance I could find the long lost Michael Patrick Donut Shark from my youth?

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Less Than Jake, "How's My Driving, Doug Hastings?" from Losing Streak (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "I'm not going out like this."

No comments: