Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Explorers Club
No. CXL - The first solo non-stop Transatlantic flight, by Charles Lindbergh (1902-1974) in the Spirit of St. Louis, 20-21 May 1927.









I am tempted to dedicate an entire episode of "The Explorers Club" to answering the question, What exactly was it that made Charles Lindbergh the most famous man in the world? But I doubt there is any adequate answer, anything more specific than he was the right hero with the right achievement at the right moment. I fear one could spend a lifetime chasing after a "better" answer to that question, and surely that way lies madness.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Sarah McLachlan, "Building a Mystery" (live) from Mirrorball (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Why I love "Building a Mystery" is itself a mystery, because I hate that song. Why do I love it if I hate it? Or perhaps the better question is, How? Why do I own both studio and live versions of "Building a Mystery," on Surfacing and Mirrorball? Because I love that song. And I hate it. Mystery.

No comments: