Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Operation AXIOM
The American orgy of inebriation known as St. Paddy's Day has naught to do with Eire, Irish culture, nor the Catholicism that is so central to Irish ethnicity. I'll gladly join anyone in celebrating Saint Patrick's Day, but to blazes with all and sundry who engage in the St. Paddy's Day festival of bigotry and ignorance. I never wear green on the 17th of March, but this year I've upped the ante: I'm wearing black & brown (or, for those so inclined, black & tan).

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Jerry O'Sullivan, "Colonel Fraser" from Green Linnet Records: The Twentieth Anniversary Collection (T.L.A.M.)

5 comments:

Skeeter said...

Orange was a bridge too far?

Mike Wilson said...

I know more about history than the average bear. I know that the supposedly "bloodless" Glorious Revolution of 1688 was anything but when the Williamite War broke out in Ireland in 1689. I would never intentionally wear the personal color of a Protestant warlord on a Catholic saint's feast day.

Skeeter said...

Meh, it's probably all lost on the animals in shamrock suspenders that I just had to hurdle to get back from lunch, anyway.

The Guy said...

Black and Tan is downright antagonistic. Why not just wear blue? It is more smug.

Mike Wilson said...

I am openly antagonistic toward St. Paddy's Day, Guy. Those "animals in shamrock suspenders" Mrs. Skeeter, Esq. had to hurdle? Those creeps & their ilk really get my Irish up.