Thursday, February 10, 2011

Autobahn
I absolutely adore the "Imported From Detroit" ad campaign for the new Chrysler 200. The slogan contains more than a wee bit of tongue-in-cheek humor given that Fiat is now calling the shots at Chrysler, though to be fair the 200 is manufactured in Sterling Heights. I'm not vouching for the 200 as a motorcar, I'm just tremendously fond of the "Imported From Detroit" adverts.

Autobahn: Polizei
I was motoring behind a black & white of the Grand Blanc Township Police Department when I noticed that it was patrol car № 34. Thirty-four? The Township can't possibly have thirty-four prowlers, can it? No. No, the very idea's ridiculous… isn't it? I suppose the squad car numbers don't count up from one so as to make the force appears more numerous & thus more formidable. Or maybe № 34 is the thirty-fourth black & white in the entire history of the Township P.D.

The Victors: Project OSPREY
Wednesday, 9 February
Michigan 75-66 Northwestern
15-10, Big Ten 5-7

I wanted to watch Wednesday's game, but the 6:30 P.M. tip-off was incompatible with 7:00 P.M. debate practice. In particular, I'd have liked to have seen Jordan Morgan's huge day in the paint. I've read that the valiant Wolverines had a double-digit lead & endured a late-game run that pulled the plucky Wildcats to within one point before scoring the last eight points of the game to produce the nine-point margin of victory. Wow! Yeah, that definitely would have sent me into a conniption fit. At least I should be able to watch Saturday's game against the wily Hoosiers of Indiana University.

Go Blue!

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Eminem, "Lose Yourself" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I considered "Weird Al" Yankovic's "Coach Potato," but as you can see eventually selected the original over the parody.

Mittwoch, 9 Februar
The Hold Steady, "Chill Out Tent" from Boys and Girls in America (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: When asked my opinion of the motion picture Closer I replied, "I didn't like any of the characters in Closer or any of the actions they took, but I did like Closer." I feel much the same way about The Hold Steady. Nearly all of their songs are about carefree drug abuse & emotionless fornication, pillars of immorality to which I am implacably & utterly opposed. Nevertheless, I quite like the music of The Hold Steady. What can I say? I'm a multifaceted (read: self-contradictory) bloke.

3 comments:

twg said...

At least it wasn't car 54.

Mike Wilson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike Wilson said...

Ha! Nice.

Also good that it wasn't car № 55.

"Hi, this is car, um… What number are we?"

"Five-five."

"Car fifty-five. Um, we're in a truck!"