Monday, May 16, 2011

The Stars My Destination
This morning commenced the final flight of the Space Shuttle Endeavour, very likely the penultimate flight of the Space Shuttle program. So ends fifty years of American manned spaceflight, as President Obama wishes us to regress, to cower, to let others take the lead in challenging the final frontier. Alas! Launchlink. Godspeed, Endeavour.

Project GLOWWORM
No sooner did I declare Straw Hat Day than temperatures plummeted & the skies opened up. Rain, followed by rain, with a little rain to break up the monotony. My best rain hat, the felt fedora, is put away in a hat box in an upstairs closet, but fortunately I left my linen trilby hanging in the downstairs coat closest alongside my straw trilby. I've not yet been caught in a heavy rain without my bumbershoot, good fortune since last summer's straw trilby Mark I was never the same after being caught out in a sudden, heavy cloudburst.

I mowed most of the law this afternoon & evening, after a full day away from home. I couldn't mow over the weekend because of the rain. Parts of the yard remain too sodden to mow; the farthest half of my parents' backyard is basically Dagobah. How is any of this Project GLOWWORM business? Because while mowing I wear blue jeans instead of gym shorts, a long sleeve T-shirt & my pith helmet to ward off the death rays of the Accursed Sun, & gloves; this costume was the beginning of GLOWWORM.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
George S. Clinton, "The Shag-adelic Austin Powers Score Medley" from Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery: Original Soundtrack (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: I've had this soundtrack album for years, since the movie was current, but only this weekend did I put the C.D. into my Macintosh & rip several of the songs into my iTunes library. I wonder what took me so long & what prompted me to action at this time. If I recall correctly I was thinking about a fictional character whose initials are B.B.C. & this sparked a desire to hear the Ming Tea song "B.B.C.," which has always been a disappointment, but which lead me back to the Austin Powers C.D. Yeah, that was it.

No comments: