Friday, July 29, 2011

Wilson
I just climbed down from the roof, visits to which are always an adventure. As is my habit (not that rooftop excursions are all that common), I bypassed the ladder from the ground to the lower (family room) roof & instead climbed out my bedroom window. I had no choice but to use a ladder to get from the lower roof to the higher (main) room, even though I cautioned my father than my elephantine weight greatly exceeds the ladder's rated load capacity. We accomplished what we need to, losing only one washer over the edge. We nearly lost a wrench, but it came to rest on the gutter lids, a few inches from falling, & from whence it was retrieved by Dad. I was able to convince him that his perch on the lower roof was too precarious to continue, leaving out as he was over space with the ladder in danger of slipping off its rest on the chimney, despite my mightiest efforts to steady it. It's only a temporary fix anyway, nothing worth imperiling life & limb. Roofs should be left to the slender & sprightly.

No comments: