Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Caution: Those with weak stomachs for moustache mentions might wish to skip this next bit.

Project GLOWWORM
I had to trim a very long hair today, very possibly the longest in the right wing of my moustache. It had gone rogue, standing out at an odd angle, & it was bent towards the end. A graceful curve is highly prized, but once a hair develops that kind of abrupt kink there's no way to tame it. I've learned that the loss of no single hair makes or breaks the moustache, but even so I suffer a twinge of regret whenever a hair that has grown for so many months, possibly even since I began growing my moustache over two years ago, must be culled. Alas! if only it had stayed in formation, worked in concert with its compatriots! 'Twas not to be.

Of late, I've spied what seems to me to be a large number of goatees. This is unfortunate, as I've never looked favorably on the goatee. A goatee describes the hair on a man's chin; I do not mean the Van Dyke, that combination of a goatee & a moustache that is oft, & erroneously, called a "goatee." No, I have been seeing real, awful goatees. At least they've been for the most part short & neat, not long & gnarly. Still, why grow a goatee? Why not a full beard? Or even a Van Dyke? The goatee is just so… adolescent.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Beirut, "Nantes" from The Flying Club Cup (T.L.A.M.)

2 comments:

twg said...

The actual goatee certainly deserves the epithet "chin pubes," in my opinion.

Mike Wilson said...

Hee hee, pubes.