Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Victors: Project OSPREY
(№ 3) Michigan 76-74 Ohio State (№ 10) (O.T.)
21-2, Big Ten 8-2

Tim Hardaway Jr. is my hero. When things looked bleak for the valiant Wolverines, the junior dropped timely three after timely three to prevent the hated Buckeyes from building a lead. I am personally dubious of our being a legitimate top ten club without the lynchpin of our defense, Jordan Morgan, still out with an ankle injury, & we were slashed for far too many points in the paint tonight, but down the stretch our defensive grew in intensity & tenacity, a wonderful sign for the remainder of the season. For much of the game one would have to say Aaron Craft > Trey Burke, but in the closing moments & throughout overtime time Burke was all over Craft on the defensive end, deflating the hated Buckeyes' comeback attempt. Woot!

I do have complain about one play, though. Late in the second half, the valiant Wolverines lead 68-65 & had just made a defensive stop; on the ensuing possession, they had every chance to made it a two-possession lead. Instead, small forward Nik Stauskas (freshman) threw the ball directly to a hated Buckeye, who immediately elevated & made a three-point shot, trying the game at 68. Stauskas could not have thrown the ball any more directly to the Ohio State player if he'd tried. I freely admit that as egregious as the error was, it wouldn't both me as much if Stauskas wasn't a dirty Canuck. But he is a dirty Canuck.

Next: Murderers' Row continues: At Wisconsin on Saturday, at (№ 12) Michigan State one week from tonight. Let us hope Morgan's ankle will be healed sooner rather than later.

Go Blue!

Urbi et Orbi
On Sunday, Father McInnis, as is his wont, instructed us in the lyrics of a song for Lent he'd devised for the amusement & edification of local Catholic schoolchildren. He sang & we clapped, & then he scolded us that no, no, we wouldn't get off that lightly. So, we all sang his delightful little song, though he did mercifully excuse us from performing the accompanying dance (which is all upper body movements, due to Father's hip surgery & the typical "dance" moves that accompany song sung by unruly masses of little children). Father McInnis's Lenten song, sung to the tune of "Frère Jacques":

"Prayer, fasting, and alms-giving,
We are meant to repent,
Forty days of sacrifice,
Being super extra nice,
This is Lent, this is Lent."

Urbi et Orbi | Project MERCATOR
I don't fit in with my brother knights in the Knights of Columbus, but I don't fit in with them as well as I've never fit in with any group to which I've belonged. We've held a fish fry the first Friday of every month since October. Last Friday's fish fry was our last "tune up" before Lent, when we'll be frying fish every Friday, seven Fridays in a row, including Good Friday. Last Friday was my first time flying solo on the French fryer, having previously acted as second to & in relief of my mentor, the Mess Sergeant. At tonight's meeting, the Mess Sergeant reported that he'd heard good things about how I performed. My heart didn't swell with pride, but I was thankful for the kind words all the same.

Also, for reasons that will never be clear to be I was asked by the Grand Knight to serve as our Council's membership director, a position for which I'm almost uniquely unqualified since I've belonged to Holy Redeemer my whole life & yet I know almost none of my fellow parishioners, & all those I do know I know from outside the parish. But under the protocols of Project MERCATOR this was insufficient reason to refuse the clarion call of duty. So now I'm organizing a membership drive for just after Easter. In the worst case scenario I could be excommunicated from the Church, but the odds on that are pretty long.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
First Aid Kit, "King of the World" from The Lion's Roar (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: