Thursday, August 25, 2016

Objective PORCUPINE

This afternoon, I took two steps to change my social-media habits. I posted the following to my FaceSpace "wall" & I deactivated my moribund Twitter account.
Earlier this summer, I spent a week off-line due to a lovely family reunion Up North. When I returned to the FaceSpace, I discovered that I hadn't really missed it. Thus, the following experiment: From now, Thursday, 25 August 'til Monday, 3 October, I will only log in to the FaceSpace once a week, on Monday morning. Will I feel out of the loop? More isolated from far-flung kith & kin? More connected to the persons around me in daily live? More attuned to the Lord? Let's wait & see.

Welcome to Objective PORCUPINE. Farewell.
This week marked the twenty-fifth anniversary of the world wide web, which is apparently not quite the same thing as the internet. Who knew? Roll your eyes at my cretinism if you wish, but my eyes glaze over whenever computer science is discussed. Regardless of my disregard for the purely coincidental anniversary, methinks this a fine juncture at which to re-evaluate my use of those online tools that we as a society have taken to calling "social media," despite the evidence that indicates usage results in anti-social behaviors & tendencies. To wit, after two attempts at making use of the "microblogging" website Twitter, I'm throwing in the towel & washing my hands of the whole disreputable business. I have "deactivated" my account; if I do not "reactivate" it in the next thirty days, the Twitter informs me that it will be "deleted forever." Good riddance! I would have needed to borrow someone's laptop or smartphone to go online during this summer's wonderful week-long blackout. Will I be able, with ready access to the interwebs, to resist the temptation to log-in to the FaceSpace more than once a week? There's only one way to find out.

This blog (short for weblog), The Secret Base of the Rebel Black Dot Society, is fourteen years old, & counting. Maybe I'm just a stick in the mud who only likes "old school" social media.

Code Name: CHAOS
Objective PORCUPINE is scheduled to run through Monday, 3 October 2016. If successful, it could be extended indefinitely. (We must remember that Project BLACK MAMBA began as Objective BLACK MAMBA.) If PORCUPINE is extended indefinitely, would it be Project PORCUPINE or Operation PORCUPINE? I wonder.

No comments: