Monday, August 22, 2016

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day

Elvis Costello, "Alison" from The Very Best of Elvis Costello (The Last Angry Man)

Commentary: Saturday morning, as my parishioner partner & I raked last fall's leaves from around a non-parishioner's house & painted the front porch railing of another non-parishioner's house, we discussed the quandary of living out the faith in this fallen world, specifically as it applies to pop music. What does being a disciple of the Lord Jesus Christ mean for the thoroughly secular, sometimes directly contrary-to-the-Gospel music we loved before our stony hearts were replaced with living hearts? I do not have any definitive answers for you, but "Alison" has been an earworm, albeit a pleasant one, ever since.
"Alison,
I know this world is killing you,
O Alison,
My aim is true…"

No comments: