Sunday, January 6, 2019

The Queue

I loathed Clueless in Galilee ninety per cent of the time I was reading it. Towards the end, though it would be an overstatement to say I enjoyed the book, my hostility lessened. Heaven knows I'm all for humorous ruminations on the Sacred Scriptures; so, I surmise a component of the issue is differing, somewhat incompatible senses of humor. In that vein, Mac Barron is best known for hosting, with his lovely bride, the podcast Catholic in a Small Town; I listen to a number of Catholic podcasts & have yet to make it through a complete episode of Catholic in a Small Town: After not very long, I cannot escape the sensation that my time would be better spent listening to something, anything else. (Another time, we'll discuss being a content creator, other content creators, & the intersecting responsibilities of being a contact creator & a content consumer.) But there is also the stark reality that Clueless in Galilee isn't a terribly good book.

I was not intending to read Dr. Brant Pitre's The Case for Jesus until I saw a copy sitting in Holy Redeemer's Perpetual Adoration Chapel, which I have subsequently borrowed. I've heard Dr. Pitre as a guest on several podcasts & he is a brilliant, articulate fellow in whose work I am profoundly interested, filing it deep in the ever-expanding queue. 'Tis a slim volume, just under two hundred pages before the notes begin, & a popular not academic text. The plan? Fie on your plan! Fie, I say! Impulse read—activate!

Recently
Pope Saint Clement I (A.K.A. Clement of Rome), The First Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians
Trent Horn, Why We're Catholic: Our Reasons for Faith, Hope, and Love
Mac Barron, Clueless in Galilee: A Fresh Take on the Gospels

Currently
G. K. Chesterton, The Defendant
Brant Pitre, The Case for Jesus: The Biblical and Historical Evidence for Christ

Perpetually
Norman Davies, Vanished Kingdoms: The Rise and Fall of States and Nations ***suspended***

Presently
Margaret MacMillan, Paris 1919: Six Months That Changed the World
Dynamic Catholic Ambassadors, Why I Love Being Catholic
Diane Moczar, Converts and Kingdoms: How the Church Converted the Pagan West—and How We Can Do It Again
Jennifer Fulwiler, Something Other than God: How I Passionately Sought Happiness and Accidentally Found It
Sherry A. Weddell, Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus
Bishop Robert Barron, Seeds of the Word: Finding God in the Culture
Mike Aquilina, Understanding the Mass: 100 Questions, 100 Answers
Xavier Rynne, Vatican Council II
John W. O'Malley, What Happened at Vatican II
Pope Benedict XVI, Deus Caritas Est (God Is Love)
Pope Benedict XVI, Sacramentum Caritatis (The Sacrament of Charity)
Scott Hahn, A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
Rosario Carello, Pope Francis Takes the Bus and Other Unexpected Stories
Father Mathias D. Thelen, Biblical Foundations for the Role of Healing in Evangelization
Richard Price, Clockers
Sir Richard Francis Burton, translator, "Sinbad the Sailor" from The Arabian Nights
Sir Ernest Shackleton, South: A Memoir of the Endurance Voyage
William F. Buckley Jr., The Unmaking of a Mayor
John le Carré, A Legacy of Spies

No comments: