Monday, September 6, 2021

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' Labor Day

The Proclaimers, "Five O'Clock World" from Born Innocent (Mike Papa Whiskey)

Commentary:
"Up every morning just to keep a job,
I've got to fight my way through the hussling mob,
Sounds of the city pounding in my brain
While another day goes down the drain.

"But it's a five o'clock world when the whistle blows,
No one owns a piece of my time!
And there's a five o'clock me inside my clothes,
Thinking that the world looks fine.

"Trading my time for the pay I get,
Living on money that I ain't made yet,
Gotta keep going, gotta make my way,
But I live for the end of the day.

"Cause it's a five o'clock world when the whistle blows,
No one owns a piece of my time!
And there's a long-haired girl who waits, I know,
To ease my troubled mind…"

No comments: