Thursday, August 13, 2026

Autobahn: Fast, Good, & Cheap

In our consumerist society, we all wants goods & services fast, good, & cheap, but a modern axiom reminds us that you have to pick just two of the three: You can have it fast & good, but it won't be cheap; you can have it fast & cheap, but it won't be good; or you can have it good & cheap, but it won't be fast.

One of the Shuttlecraft Odysseus's tires was leaking air through the valve stem; so, yesterday, I took it to a local used tire shop to have the valve stem replaced. I patronize that shop for leaks because they will plug holes that the corporate chain shops claim cannot be patched/plugged. I pulled up & was seen right away, an advantage over the often interminable waits at a corporate chains, & the valve stem replacement cost a relatively nominal amount. The service was fast & cheap, which sadly meant it wasn't good. The low tire-pressure light that had prompted me to visit the shop remained illuminated as a I drove home, much to my annoyance. I checked the tire pressures &, though they had replaced the valve stem & tested the tire for any other leaks, they had not inflated it back to the factory-recommended pressure. I used my dad's compressor to inflate the tire to the desired pressure, & checked the other three while I was at it.

Not fast, good, & cheap, but fast, good, or cheap. You can only have two of the three.

No comments: