Wednesday, August 12, 2026

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Day: SKAugust

Operation Ivy, "Take Warning" from the Operation Ivy compilation (Rude Boy Mike Papa Whiskey)

Skammentary: Musically, Operation Ivy weren't on my radar at the Turn of the Millennium. I saw plenty of Op Ivy T-shirts & hoodies at the Warped Tour & other shows, but I paid them no more attention that the Misfits T-sirts & hoodies also present. (I'm still wrapping my mind around that fact that today Gen Alpha wears Nirvana shirts in the same way.) It wasn't until the last five years or so that I've begun listening to these ska-punk pioneers.

"Take Warning" is of a piece with the long ska tradition of advocating for peace & justice.
"Stand by your friends, wrong or right,
Can't call that justice
If it's just a stupid excuse to fight,
Single out, and attack ones who got no defense.
You call that a new way of thinkin',
I call it regression to ignorance…

"Enough is enough is enough!
Why don't you just ease up?

"I saw another beat down last night,
Take warning!
Who's the next to hit the ground tonight?,
Take warning!
Take warning!…"

No comments: