Sunday, February 19, 2012

Urbi et Orbi
From the way the morning had unfolded, the subtle clues throughout, I was fairly certain I'd be going to eleven o'clock Mass alone when I stepped out of my room ready to go at 10:45. Downstairs, I saw Mom sitting in her favorite easy chair, reading the newspaper, still wearing her pajamas. (No condemnation, it's not as if I've never skipped Mass due to sloth.) Before I could say anything she announced that she intended to attend the afternoon's five o'clock Mass. I pondered for a moment: Go alone or wait & go with her later? She told me I could go ahead, but I replied that it was "more fun" to go with someone. We went to the five o'clock, & only when we arrived did I remember that the five o'clock is the Mass that features the blasted hippie music, the "contemporary" music, as if Holy Redeemer was some tiny United Southern Charismatic Evangelical Methodist Baptist Church of God Christ (Reformed) church, the kind of outfit where the most prominent name on the sign outside is the pastor's, instead of a parish of Holy Mother Church. O how I loathe the blasted hippie music! (Wayback Machine.) There is no reason ever to have an electric bass guitar inside a Catholic church! Afterward, Mom remarked how much she liked the music, though she must have heard my eyes roll because she added that she knew it wasn't to my taste. We both agreed that it is preferable to have someone with whom to attend Mass, regardless of the music.

A pair of names I might use at some point for fictional bands, though the latter might also work as the title of a story:

Vox Populi & the Hoi Polloi
Poison Pen & the Purple Prose / Purple Prose & the Poison Pen
--> The Poison Pen & The Purple Prose
--> Poison Penn & the Purple Prose

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Reel Big Fish, "Suckers" from Cheer Up! (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "This one's for all the suckers who still believe in love!"

No comments: