Friday, April 26, 2013

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day: SKApril
Dance Hall Crashers, "Pick Up Lines" from The Old Record: 1989-1992 (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: D.H.C. was less ambiguously a ska band in its earlier days. "Pick Up Lines," as a random exemplar, features both "ska guitar" & integral horns. D.H.C. is most noted for its dual distaff singers & their intoxicating harmonizing & the ladies, Elyse Rogers & Karina Deniké, are at the top of their form on "Pick Up Lines."

"Over in the corner I saw this one all alone,
Looked like Mr.Natural, the kind you would take home,
Not like any of the others, this one seemed benign,
At least until he opened his mouth, 'Hey, babe, what's your sign?'

"We've heard one too many overused pick up lines,
Give us some credit, we're not sleazy, dumb, or blind.

"Got fed up, decided to leave after one last drink,
Felt a tap on my left shoulder and started to think,
I can't take this anymore, what will this line be?
That's when he let his line fly, 'Hi, my name is Steve.'

"Where have you been all of my life, sweet thing?
Can I buy you a drink? Marry you? Anything?"

No comments: