Thursday, August 19, 2021

The Rebel Black Dot Song o' the Day: SKAugust

Reel Big Fish, "Big Star" from Why Do They Rock So Hard? (Rude Boy Mike Papa Whiskey)

Skammentary: I've combed through the SKAfter Party & SKAugust lists & found, to my surprise, that I've not done this before. "This" what, you ask? For the next four days, starting today, we will be presenting four thematically interrelated songs from the Reel Big Fish album Why Do They Rock So Hard?, a meditation on the fleeting nature of fame & the fickle nature of popularity. There will be a good deal of the trademark R.B.F. snark, but also a surprising amount of earnestness, even vulnerability. Enjoy!
"I don't even have to try,
I don't even want to try,
And why should I waste my precious time
If I can't make you love me?
I can't make you love me!
But I know you do!

But I'm so cool no one wants to look at me,
And I'm so cool no one wants to talk to me,
And I'm so fucking cool nobody cares at all!…"

No comments: