Friday, August 22, 2003

Just a quick suggestion to Sam, our cat: hey, dumbass, if you want to be petted and I'm sitting in a chair, it'll help things significantly if you stay within arm's reach. Sammy's full name is Samuel Bubbles Cat Sink Wilson; we've had him since the Fall of 1986.

On Fish
My sister once had a goldfish that lived for over three years, a beautiful, elegant lady named Fish. My brother once had a goldfish that lived for over three years, a stout, aggressive pugilist named Arthur. My goldfish, a small, funny fellow named Fishy is now about three years old. However, because I received Fishy secondhand from the Phantom Frantom (who also named him) I have always kept him in the small tank the Phantom gave me, whereas both Fish and Arthur resided in those big five gallon jobs. Thus, Fishy is much smaller than either Fish or Arthur were by this age. (I think that Fish is an absolutely amazing name for a fish and quite possibly the most creative thing my sister's ever done. However, I feel that Fishy is rather lacking. Nonetheless, that is his name and will be for the remainder of his life.)

The first fish I buy on my own, I think I'll name Aquaman. Or maybe get two and name the other Black Manta.

Your Own Worst Enemy
Superman = Lex Luthor
Batman = The Joker
Wonder Woman = Cheetah (I think; it's a problem that this is not more clear cut)
The Flash = Captain Cold
Green Lantern = Effigy* (this is tough because the character is not even ten years old)
Aquaman = Black Manta
J'onn J'onzz = Malefic

*The current Green Lantern is Kyle Rayner. He became GL (in real time) in 1994 and has only been on the job a few years. His predecessor, Hal Jordan, was GL for almost thirty-five years and had a very definite archenemy, the evil Sinestro. Kyle has never had that singular enemy. Effigy was created as a dark reflection of Kyle, but he has not been used extensively, despite being perfect for the job of archenemy. A Sinestro-type villain names Nero was also introduced, but he was not very effective. So to this point, sadly, Kyle Rayner had no clear cut archenemy, though in my estimation Effigy is the logical choice.

No comments: