Thursday, August 7, 2003

My new mantra:
"A short skirt.
A Gimmes shirt.
A Jones Soda.
Ain't life grand?"

You Don't Know What You're Talking About
Never Girl thinks The Ataris are fucking amazing live. My question is: why? Historically, I like The Ataris, but I saw them live for the first time on Sunday (Warped Tour) and while their show was adequate, it was nothing to write home about. ***I'd think this even if I hadn't had my ass rocked off by both Less Than Jake and Flogging Molly, the world's two best live bands, in a three day span. But I digress.*** I say that I historically like The Ataris because I have concerns about their new album. I haven't bought it yet, but I have heard it... on MTV. Their big single is called "Boys of Summer." It is a cover of a song from the '80s. (Don't ask me by whom becasue I don't know.) There is nothing more sad than when a band's biggest song is a cover. It's better to never make it big than succeed through a cover. Based upon their excellent earlier albums, I am incredibly disappointed. Additionally, because they are getting MTV airtime, the crowd at their show was filled with teenaged girls, the kind who only sang during the songs that they've heard on MTV. Dammit, these creatures aren't fans of The Ataris, they've just been told that The Ataris are cool. (Which reflects poorly upon The Ataris.) I'm sorry, but it's hard for your live show to be awesome when the pit is overrun with trendy moron kids.

On that note, I hate the current popularity of pop-punk. These trendy kids are at the shows when they have no real business being there. Dammit, it was assholes just like you kids who made high school miserable for the bands, thus prompting their latter day songwriting angst. While I do appreciate and enjoy the irony, it is damned annoying having them at the shows, flavor of the month-loving jerks that they are.

So, essentially what I'm saying is that Never Girl has no idea what she's talking about. Before I introduced her to the scene, she'd never been in a pit. Relying on her own piss-poor taste, she likes Matchbox 20 and Aerosmith. I would argue that liking MxPx and liking Aerosmith are mutually exclusive; so, she's lying about liking one of them. Given these developments, maybe I should have never invited her to that first Mustard Plug show....

No comments: