Friday, January 21, 2005

My mom woke me up at 7:02 a.m. this morning to tell me my grandmother is in the hospital. It's nothing life threatening, she didn't have a stroke or heart attack, but it's serious enough that shortly thereafter Mom left for Dayton, where she was raised and where Grandma still lives. I would be lying if I said I held any particular affection for my grandmother, and vice versa; during our Christmastime trip to Dayton, she recoiled when I hugged her. Nevertheless, she is my last surviving grandparent. Between December 1999 and July 2003, Grandpa Wilson, Grandpa Little, and Grandma Wilson died in that order. The world will be a better place when my grandmother dies, but it will make my mother quite sad; so, I hope she endures for many years to come.

Last night I watched the first half of Ken Burns's new documentary Unforgivable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson. I highly recommend it and look forward to watching the second half this weekend. Among the many enviable features it boasts is narration by Keith David. I cannot imagine how, but I hope this brings us one step closer to my dream project: a movie co-starring Keith David and David Keith. And once that venture come to fruition, I know it will be easier to see Daniel Day Lewis and Daniel Dae Kim side by side.

No comments: