Saturday, December 3, 2005

Fear and Loathing in the Straits of Taiwan
Monsters of ROC. I actually don't know which party I favor, the KMT or the DDP. I favor Taiwanese independence, but only sort of. I don't want to see Taiwan integrated with the Mainland as long as the PRC stands, but I think Taiwan should rightly be considered part and parcel of the eventual post-PRC China. So, do I support the more independence-minded DDP or the more status quo-preserving KMT? All I know for certain is that I strongly oppose the CCP.

Under the old Wade-Giles system of romanization, the Nationalist Party (descended from the party founded by Sun Yat-sen) was known as the Kuomintang. Thus, KMT. Under the somewhat more logical but still imperfect pinyin system of romanization, the word is spelled Guomindang, which is closer to how it is pronounced. But the acronym remains KMT. Why? Um, tradition? Feh, why not? Tradition!

BTW's Trading Faces
About the partial facial transplanted recently carried out in France, let me just say this: Science!

Invader ZIM sez, "No, these piggies are for science. Science!"

Pug Uglies
I stopped by the Guy's house on Thursday on Newsletter business. While there, I saw the Pug Uglies and had the opportunity to hold Tyson. Patrick has been marking his territory, and so he's been outfitted with a diaper. Sure, Sammy pissed outside his litter box toward the end, but only because he had kidney problems. As the Guy said, Patrick's just a jerk. Score one more for kitty cats. Still, I love those filthy, porcine little dog-monsters.

No comments: