Monday, May 8, 2006

The Magic of Shazam!
I have a story in which Captain Marvel and Spy Smasher once again join forces to thwart ODESSA's latest scheme, this time a direct attack on Israel. They have precious few details when they begin, save that a latter day V-weapon is to be used to destroy the Jewish State. All along, I've been calling this story, which is scheduled to run after "Manhunters Are From Mars, Worms Are From Venus" in the late 30s, "V for Vengeance," but now I kind of want to go whole hog and call it "V for Vergeltungswaffe" (the "V" in the V1 buzz bomb and V2 proto-ICBM). I love "V for Vengeance," but I kind of really want to use "V for Vergeltungswaffe."

Vergeltungswaffe, panzerkampfwagon... what I hate about German is exactly what I love about German.

Wonder Woman
You know I love science and I know I love science, but I've noticed a recurring theme in my stories: evil scientists who attempt to destroy magic-based heroes to demonstrate the supremacy of science over magic. Along these lines, I've been thinking about a foe to go toe-to-toe with Wonder Woman, every bit her physical and mental equal, Nike (after the Greek goddess of victory, whose name is pronounced NEE-kuh, not Ni-KEE like the show company). And at present the vile Jack Ajax is a completely science-based villain. I've working on a couple different angles for Nike's origin; so, nothing is set in stone.

Just to balance the science versus magic scales, I'll have to have an MOS! character, Dexter Knox - Boy Scientist, defeat a few sorcerers and such to reaffirm my loyalty to science. Science!

No comments: