Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Dreadful Sick & Perchance to Dream
I sleep with a rotating stand fan in operation at the foot of my bed. This is for both the soothing rhythm of the whirling blades and because I actually enjoy being slightly cold. However, due to my current cold, last night I forewent the fan. Because of last week's single digit temperatures, I had added a Michigan (Go Blue!) blanket on top of my usual combo of a sheet and a fleece comforter.

I did not sleep well and for what seemed like hours I found myself in the middle of a vast melee of late Medieval/early Modern combat (lots of swords and pikes, but also a vast array of primitive firearms). I tossed and turned and by the time my first alarm clock blared I felt as if I'd been awake for a dog's age.

And I was hot, a singularly unpleasant feeling first thing in the morning. Not the delightful winter's morning warmth that comes from huddling under a extra blanket or two, but something altogether different. I took a relatively cold shower, but not too cold so as not to exacerbate my periodic coughing and accompanying splitting headache. As is my habit, upon returning to my room after my shower I turned the fan to my desk and air-dried as I checked my email and the overnight headlines. To no avail. I was sweating as I shaved, sweating as I ate breakfast, and sweating as I set foot out into the cursedly spring-like morning air. Not sweating like a Wilson, mind you, but mildly and persistently perspiring. It really did not resolve itself for several hours, until well into the late morning.

So, that was a lovely bonus to go with my cough, headache, and inability to exercise. I feel that I am on the mend now, and hope to return to the gymnasium by Thursday, Bog willing.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Reel Big Fish, "Drunk Again" from Cheer Up!

Commentary: Featuring lead vocals not by front man/guitarist/lead singer Aaron Barrett, but by trumpeter/back-up singer little Scotty Klopfenstein!

"'Cause now, I'm drunk again,
The means to my end,
And I'm scared of myself.
'Cause now, it's all the same,
The places and names,
And I'm scared of myself, again."

No comments: