Sunday, June 14, 2009



24 Heures du Mans - Finale
"The Lion has roared!" Peugeot wins. Really quite dominantly Peugeot finished both first and second, with Audi third and the gorgeous Gulf Oil Aston Martin car numbered 007 in fourth, just off the podium. The third Peugeot 908 finished in, I think, sixth place, which is impressive as this was the Peugeot that received the worst of the pit lane collision described in yesterday's first Le Mans post. I awoke at the same time I did the day before, and as that put me in a position to watch the half-hour leading up to the beginning o the 24 Hours, this afforded me the chance to watch only the last half-hour of the race. By that time, Peugeot had already bested Audi and could only have been undone by a dual disaster, yet this did curiously little to dampen my enjoyment of those last few precious moments. It was quite a sight as the three Peugeots got into formation to finish the "Grand Prix of Endurance" together, a fitting theatrical end to such a monumental undertaking.

Reflections on my first Le Mans: What an amazing spectacle, the 24 Hours of Le Mans is even more thrilling and entrancing than I'd hoped. Next year, with some experience under my belt, I will more effectively schedule my entire weekend around the race, sleeping more beforehand and less during the race so that I might see more of Sunday's racing. Also, during his summation/farewell one of the Speed announcers said simply, "You must come to Le Mans." I agree wholeheartedly, I must go to Le Mans.

Now, whilst I add Le Mans attendance to CADMUS, I must also figure out how I might entice my kith and kin to embrace motorsport as I have, or at least to open their eyes to the majesty of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. You'll be hearing more from me on this, and I suggest capitulation as the preferable alternate to resistance.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Less Than Jake, "24 Hours in Paramus" from Losers, Kings, and Things We Don't Understand (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: