Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I suggested to Skeeter last week that after repaying all my debts I might use my as-yet-hypothetical Jeopardy! winnings, assuming they are of sufficient quantity, to purchase either a new Chevrolet Camaro or a Chevrolet Volt. She replied, "Camaro, ye gods, i'll make you a t-shirt that says 'douchebag' and save you $25,000." I laughed and laughed and laughed; man alive, Skeeter's awesome! Of course, though I cannot deny the raw, animal appeal of the Camaro, there is a very practical reason why I would not buy one, even were I flush with cash and willing to declare publicly my status as a douchebag: I do not know how to operate a manual transmission. It is farcical, if not abominable, for any performance vehicle (I've never been clear on the distinction between a muscle car and a pony car) such as the Camaro, the Chevrolet Corvette, the Ford Mustang, or the Dodge Challenger, et al., to be equipped with an automatic transmission; in this I am a purist and have been for as long as I can remember. There is also a quite formidable psychological barrier to my hypothetical purchase of a Camaro, but for now the simple fact that I would not acquire such a motor car without a manual transmission and yet would be unable to drive a motor car so equipped shall suffice as a disincentive.

Unfortunately, I've been researching the Volt and it seems my mind's eye image was of the '06 Volt concept car. The forthcoming production version of the Volt is substantially different in its appearance, and not at all for the better. I admit that Lumi, a '95 Chevrolet Lumina, is hardly the most distinctive of automobiles, but the Volt is the very definition of generic dullness. Petroleum is one of the world's great treasures, and it is indefensible of us to waste is as fuel for motor cars when there are alternatives within reach should we make use of our hard-won scientific acumen. Perhaps the self-satisfaction of no longer squandering precious petroleum as petrol would adequately compensate me for the Volt's blatant aesthetic shortcomings?

Of course, the success of Objective ZED ALPHA is yet an unknown; so, perhaps I should focus on training to accrue those "Jeopardy! winnings" before I mentally spend them?

Science!
Fusion confusion: I.T.E.R.link. A tokamak… to contain the very power of a sun! *insert maniacal laughter here*

Science!

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
They Might Be Giants, "AKA Driver" from John Henry (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "AKA Driver" a.k.a. "NyQuil Driver." I once fell asleep while driving. 'Twas a terrifying experience, one I have made determined efforts never to repeat.

No comments: