Thursday, February 25, 2010

Project MERCATOR
I had a phenomenally wretched day, a day that started out with such promise, and I'm too furious to write coherently; my anger would overcome my discretion and I'd write things that would cause grievous, possibly irreparable, harm without achieving any practical aim. No, better to hold my proverbial tongue and bide my time. For an entirely new purpose, let's dust off an old and treasured line of the Bard's device:

"That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Reel Big Fish, "Suckers" from Cheer Up! (Dr. Hee Haw & The Guy, sort of)

Commentary: "This one's for all the suckers who still believe in love, this one's for you!"

4 comments:

brenda cox giguere said...

Yes, discretion is often the better part of valor. I do hope tomorrow is much better for you.

skeeter said...

hoo boy.

Dr. Hee Haw said...

The thing is, given my history, I really shouldn't believe in love...which makes the song title and quote all the more appropriate.

Mike Wilson said...

Let there be no doubt whatsoever, I hold stolidly with the sage words of The Guy, "If you're not a sucker for love, then you're just a sucker." And so do the chaps who comprise Reel Big Fish, only true idealists can be that snarky & cynical.

As can be inferred from the arguably inappropriate level of kissing-and-telling in "Project PANDORA: The Other Woman," no natural respecter of other people's privacy am I. But I've been writing The Secret Base for eight years now, and bitter experience has taught me that there is a time and a place for discretion, that sometimes propriety must trump probity. I should dearly love to give vent to all my troubles here, but appraising matters with the cold eye of an economist I cannot but conclude that the almost certain costs outweigh the potential cathartic benefits.