Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Explorers Club
No. CLXXVII - Sir Percy Sillitoe (1888-1962), police reformer & spy-catcher.







He's Dead, Jim
A week ago, my mom went down to Ann Arbor for a check-up, eight weeks after the surgery to mine the cancer out of her nose. Her physician saw something he didn't like on her scans; he said that he was probably being paranoid, but in this matter we all believe that safe is better than sorry and so Mom underwent a biopsy yesterday. We probably won't get the results until early next week; so, we do not yet know if the cancer is still being held at bay or is once again on the move. When I know more, you'll know more.

This rots.

Vote For Kodos: Conscience & the 4th Commandment
In other parental news, my dad was defeated in his bid for the Republican nomination for the Michigan 5th District seat in the United States House of Representatives. In this heavily Democratic district, where Rep. Dal Kildee will be re-elected to his seat even though he looks & acts for all the world like an honest-to-American-God zombie, the corporate-welfare wing of the Republican Party proved stronger than the "tea party" wing by the count of 22,009 to 17,474.

I was out late Monday night installing campaign signs at polling places throughout southern Genesee County. I was out late Tuesday night retrieving campaign signs from polling places throughout southern Genesee County. I experienced significant diminishing marginal utility vis-à-vis repetitive broadcasts of the B.B.C. World News.

The Rebel Black Dot Songs of the Day
Vampire Weekend, "Mansard Roof" from Vampire Weekend (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: For the last couple days, I'd been listening to the wrong music. I couldn't say what it was I wanted to hear, but I knew it wasn't whatever I was hearing at that moment. Then it struck me like a bolt out of the clear blue sky: Vampire Weekend. Sweet satisfaction.

Mittwoch, 4 August
Discount, "Soup" from Mailorder is Fun! (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Regarding the above commentary, no offense meant to Discount's "Soup," sweet respite amidst my futile seeking.

No comments: