Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wilson
I was going to go against my better judgment & venture into the unholy hall of horrors we call Ohio in order to spend the weekend of 7-8 May visiting Where's Teddy?, but this evening I was uninvited by text message. Why? Because there is to be a large gathering of the non-Wilson side of Where's Teddy?'s family on Mother's Day; this apparently renders the whole of the weekend & the whole of Where's Teddy? off-limits to me. I replied, "Hey, no worries, family has to come first," to which the laughable response was "You're family, too, dude." If that was even remotely the case, why would only one side & always the same side of the family perpetually wind up with the short end of the stick? But what else would you expect from Buckeyes?

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

This Week in Motorsport
Another twist in the odd war twixt the two Lotuses ("The Lotus Eaters"): Sevenlink. I bear Lotus Renault no ill-will as a result of the battle between Group Lotus the auto manufacturer & Team Lotus the F1 constructor (& as we will explore in the forthcoming "The Saga of 'Quick Nick,' Part Deux," this year there is much reason to cheer for Lotus Renault), but there should be no doubt that I am a true blue—or perhaps that should be "true British racing green"—Team Lotus man. I have quite the man-crush on Tony Fernandes, the Team Lotus supremo. (I also adore that he is a Malaysian man named Tony Fernandes.) I wouldn't even fit into a Caterham 7, but I'd surely love the chance to fail.

In the wake of Williams (Cosworth) selling its soul to Hugo Chávez, "my" trio of teams have been pared down to a dynamic duo, Red Bull (Renault) & Team Lotus (Renault). I am looking to adopt a third team & I hereby affirm that I shan't be basing that decision on fair-weather considerations like who is most likely to win any particular grand prix. I want my teams to win, but I won't back a winner simply because they are a winner.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day: SKApril
Go-Go 13, "Idiot Box" from Rice Capades (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: "Idiot Box" was written by Go-Go 13, & twice released by The Aquabats!, retitled "Idiot Box!" to fit in with their song-naming conventions, on the albums The Return of The Aquabats! (oddly enough, their debut album) & The Fury of The Aquabats! I finally heard the Go-Go 13 version with the release of the compilation Rice Capades, prefaced by "The Aquabats! and Horchata Records present…." The comp. contains two Go-Go 13 songs, "Idiot Box" & "Espionage." "Espionage" would have fit in better with "The Queue" above, but "Idiot Box" was one of the first songs I picked when I was choosing the SKApril R.B.D.S.O.T.D.

3 comments:

me said...

Yuck, Ohioans.

PS: Uninviting by text? Tacky.

Mike Wilson said...

I have a standing weekly telephone appointment with the individual who uninvited me by text. This week, he forgot that appointment because he was in a rush to get home to mow his lawn. Message received loud & clear, I know where I'm not wanted.

twg said...

Cold, man, cold.