Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Queue
I very much enjoyed Life in the Fast Lane & the glimpse it provided inside Formula One, but I've taken the lesson of the longing for an F1 grand prix that it engendered; based on that longing, it might be inadvisable to read The Big House before I have weekly access to Michigan football. Accordingly, John Buchan's The Thirty-nine Steps has once again been pushed aside, this time by SS-GB, an alternate history detective-cum-spy story set in a Great Britain under Nazi German occupation in 1941.

I'm up to № 8 in the queue for Carte Blanche. After waiting since I was № 68, I really hope this doesn't turn out to be another debacle like Devil May Care.

Recently
Charles Cumming, A Spy by Nature
John le Carré, Smiley's People
Steve Matchett, Life in the Fast Lane: The Inside Story of Benetton's First World Championship

Currently
Len Deighton, SS-GB

Presently
Robert M. Soderstrom, The Big House: Fielding H. Yost and the Building of Michigan Stadium
John Buchan, The Thirty-nine Steps
Keith Jeffery, The Secret History of M.I.6: 1909-1949
Allen Dulles, The Craft of Intelligence
William F. Buckley, Jr., Saving the Queen
...
Jeffery Deaver, Carte Blanche

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Kevin Stermer, "Breaker of Hearts, Destroyer of Worlds" courtesy of K. Steeze (T.L.A.M.)

No comments: