Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I'm enjoying the new ThunderCats, as much for its own merits as for nostalgia. Seeing Panthro again has brought to mind an incident from that mythical age of long ago, the 1990s. At the time, "W.W.J.D." bracelets had recently risen to prominence. While we should all strive to lead lives of Christ-like imitation, I took a dim view of these "What Would Jesus Do?" trinkets, deriding them as chintzy displays of faith, a gesture aimed more at seeking recognition—even admiration—from others than promoting serious introspection. Reruns of the original ThunderCats were airing on the Cartoon Network in this same period. With a mind full more of mischief than of Christian humility, I devised my own taunting parody of the W.W.J.D. bracelets: "W.W.F.P.D.," "What Would F---ing Panthro Do?" (I was a foulmouthed blighter in those days.) Hmmm, what would Panthro do?



As a wee lad in the Big '80s, I had a toy just like this one & loved it dearly, though I seem to recall the nunchucks were lost early on.

The Rebel Black Dot Song of the Day
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, "Jolene" from Love Their Country (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: Aside from liking the screaming guitar & the breakneck pace of "Jolene," there's something I love about a song written clearly from the distaff perspective being performed by a bunch of blokes.

"Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene,
I'm begging of you, please don't take my man,
Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene,
Please don't take him just because you can.

Your beauty is beyond compare,
With flaming locks of auburn hair,
With ivory skin and eyes of emerald green.
Your smile is like a breath of spring,
Your voice is soft like summer rain
And I cannot compete with you, Jolene."

4 comments:

Zimm said...

my obligatory rebuttal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m5KrPXL4wI&feature=related

Mike Wilson said...

I knew what was coming as soon as I saw you'd left a hyperlink. Even for The White Stripes, that was awful. I congratulate Jack White, being that bereft of talent is very nearly a talent unto itself.

twg said...

I prefer "What WOULDN'T Jesus Do", myself.

Mike Wilson said...

Hee hee hee hee. Nicely done.