Thursday, August 15, 2013

Project MERCATOR | Autobahn

The Back to the Bricks muscle car extravaganza, a new tradition that has quickly established itself as arguably the centerpieces of metropolitan Flint's social calendar, is upon us again. Equal parts cruise & car show, Back to the Bricks resonates with so many in the area because of its blue-collar heritage (in Flint's glory days, the workers on the line were able to afford the cars they built & drove them with pride) & D.I.Y. ethic (because even though this is a G.M. town a fastback Ford Mustang isn't going to restore itself). Yesterday evening, in an hour of driving around with my dad in his '79 Corvette, I saw several A.C./Shelby Cobras; the potential thrill of such sightings remained purely potential, because following motor racing has lead to a new appreciation for automotive culture, including reading both Car and driver & Road & Track, & so I now know that many a Cobra is in fact a latter-day replica, not the real McCoy. I saw hordes of Pontiac G.T.O.s & several specimens of the iconic '57 Chevrolet. The most amusing this I saw yesterday was a rusted out hulk with a wooden sign resting up against the windshield, reading, "1923 Oldsmobile—For Sale." As I remarked to my father soon thereafter, "All I want to see is an Oldsmobile 442, then I'll be satisfied." No joy yesterday, but it's early days yet; Back to the Bricks will intensify 'til reaching its crescendo Friday night & Saturday morning.



The Rebel Black Dot State Song of the Day
John Linnell, "West Virginia" from State Songs, Vol. 1 (T.L.A.M.)

Bonus! Mittwoch, 14 August
Knickerbocker Four, "In My Merry Oldsmobile" via iTunes (T.L.A.M.)

Commentary: When last I was in Lansing (reportage coming soon), I did not have the opportunity to patronize the Ransom E. Olds Transportation Museum, my favorite thing about this state's capital. Drat it all!

No comments: